Use this page to initiate a department-wide or organizational-wide promotion of students and classes. Promotions will only apply when departments, divisions, classes or small groups are limited to a specific grade/age range. Connections to groups that do not have an age/grade limitation will not be affected. We recommend using Google Chrome.
Department and Division promotions will assign individuals to all departments or divisions that they are eligible for, based on age and/or grade.
To ensure a smooth promotion process, make sure you set a grade restriction or age restriction when creating your classes. These grade and age restrictions will apply only to those classes you will be running yearly promotions on. Adult classes that will not be included in the promotions you do not want an age restriction on, otherwise when promoting All Departments they will be moved. To make sure no class or department moves when running promotions only place age restrictions or class restrictions on those you would like promoted.
To perform a student or class promotion, go to: Tools > Student/Class Promotions
Our promotions are set up to be one of the easiest ways to promote all student classes at the same time, or individually.
1) Chose which individuals you want to promote from the drop down menu - such as by All Departments, or by one Department at a time such as Children’s Department, Youth Department, etc. Or you can promote by All Divisions at the same time or one Division, such as High School.
2) Select ALL of the following options that Apply to this Promotion plan you are going to run. This is very important that you select ALL that apply at this time. If you do not check one, such as "Promote Department Connections", if you have students moving from Jr. High to High School they will not be moved to the High School Department during this promotion.
Example: If you select to “increase school grades for all students/children by one year”, you will also want to select:
“Increase school grades for all students/children by one year”,
“Promote department connections based on age/grade”,
“Promote division connections based on age/grade”,
“Promote class connections based on age/grade. (so they will not only be promoted to the next school grade, but also to the next class (ie 9th grade to 10th grade class)
Then select the Limit from the drop-down Menu, and
By selecting all of these you will not only promote everyone in a class with a grade or age restriction, but also move them to the correction department, division, class connection and small group all at once.
* Next select from the drop-down menu if you want age or grade to be the priority when promoting.
3) Age/Grade Priority: This is when there is a conflict between age and grade, which one should priority to be given to in order to determine promotions? Because children are not always in the same age range as others in their class, the most used priority will be Grade.
4) Multiple Class/Small Group Conflicts: This is for when there are multiple classes and/or small groups available which individuals could be promoted to (for example, two classes of the same grade and gender), choose how to handle these conflicts.
* After you have checked and chosen from any pull downs above everything you need for this promotion, click “Next Step”. Here you can confirm if promotions are correct before promotion is finalized. You will be able to view all the promotions that were made for this plan. Please carefully review the promotions listed to check if everything is how you want it. If there are a few actions you see that you do not want completed at this time, you may uncheck those ones from the check boxes at the beginning of each line option. After you have reviewed everything and are ready to proceed with the promotion, click “Commit Changes and Proceed”. Please note – these changes cannot be undone once you Commit Changes and Proceed.
Again, to ensure a smooth promotion process, make sure you set a grade restriction or age restriction when creating your classes. These grade and age restrictions will apply only to those classes you will be running yearly promotions on. Adult classes that will not be included in the promotions you do not want an age restriction on, otherwise when promoting All Departments they will be moved. To make sure no class or department moves when running promotions only place age restrictions or class restrictions on those you would like promoted.
Multiple Classes/Small Group Conflicts: Since you may have more than one small group or class for a grade, you have the option from the drop-down menu here to manually choose these groups while promoting or have the system promote keeping the same students together into the next small group or class, or randomly assign students maintaining a consistent group size. For example, if you have 2 male groups for 8th grade and 2 female groups for 8th grade, (such as 8A Girls and 8B Girls and 8A Boys and 8B Boys), when promoting, you can promote 8A into 9A, etc. and this can be performed all at once, or you can promote grades individually if you need to. Promotions do not take into account the class name, just the grade.
If you only had one 7th Grade class and are now going to divide into a Male class 8 and a female class 8, you would choose “Randomly assign students, maintain consistent group size” from the drop down menu for this section.